Support for the implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive (WFD) 2000/60/EC
- Participation in the 1st Chemical Monitoring Activity (CMA). This was an intercalibration exercise across Member States in Europe in order to evaluate the current situation regarding sampling and analytical procedures for Priority Substance analysis in water.
- Member of the Expert Group for the development of Environmental Quality Standards (EQS) for organics in sediments for the implementation of the EQS directive (Guidance Document No. 27 / Common Implementation Strategy for the WFD).
- Responsible for the development and validation of screening methods for the determination of industrial chemicals in sediments as potential tools in monitoring programs and compliance checking under the WFD.
Support for the implementation of REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorization and Registration of Chemicals, EC 1907/2006)
- Working in the development of a generic procedure for the laboratory-to-field extrapolation of photolysis rate of chemicals in aquatic environments within the framework of the PBT assessment under REACH regulation
Support for the implementation of the Convention on Long-Range Transboundary Air Pollution (CLRTAP)
- Responsible for the implementation and operation of a POPs monitoring and research station at the EMEP Ispra Site.
Support to the implementation of the European Dioxin Strategy
- Multi-media monitoring and analysis of PCDD/Fs in selected European sites
Most relevant scientific output:
Georg Hanke, Stefano Polesello, Giulio Mariani, Sara Comero, Jan Wollgast, Robert Loos, Javier Castro-Jiménez, Luisa Patrolecco, Sara Valsecchi, Marianna Rusconi, Nicoletta Ademollo, Giovanni Bidoglio (2012). Chemical-monitoring on-site exercises to harmonize analytical methods for priority substances in the European Union. Trac-Trends in Analytical Chemistry 36, 25-35
Javier Castro Jiménez, Dik van de Meent (2011). Accounting for photo degradation in P-Assessment of chemicals. Reports Environmental Science no 381, Radboud University Nijmegen. The Netherlands. 45pp.
J. M. Zaldívar, D. Marinov, S. Dueri, J. Castro-Jiménez, C. Micheletti and A. Worth (2011).. An integrated approach for bioaccumulation assessment in mussels: Towards biota Environmental Quality Standards development. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 74, 244-252
Javier Castro-Jiménez and Catherine Gonzalez (2011). Immunoassay-based screening of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) in sediments: requirements for a new generation of test kits Journal of Environmental Monitoring 13, 894–900
Javier Castro Jiménez, Catherine Gonzalez, Guillaume Junqua (2011). Development and validation of classical and screening methods for polychlorinated biphenyl (PCBs) determination in sediments. Carnot MINES, ANR GIP, Action 09AS1 1 LGEI. France. Project Report: 49pp.
A. Pistocchi, C. Alamo, J. Castro-Jiménez, A. Katsogiannis, S. Pontes, G. Umlauf, P. Vizcaino (2010). A compilation of Europe-wide databases from published measurements of PCBs, dioxins and furans. JRC Scientific and Technical Reports. EUR 24266 EN, Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg: 89 pp
Sybille Dueri, Javier Castro-Jiménez and José-Manuel Zaldívar Comenges (2008). On the use of the partitioning approach to derive Environmental Quality Standards (EQS) for persistent organic pollutants (POPs) in sediments: a review of existing data. Science of the Total Environment 403, 23-33.
Communications at conferences / scientific meetings
J. Castro-Jiménez, D. van de Meent, A. Hollander. Accounting for photo degradation in the PBT assessment of chemicals. SETAC Europe 21th Annual Meeting. Milan, May 2011. Poster.
J. Castro-Jiménez, M. Avezac, I. Bazin, C. Blachere-Lopez, C. Gonzalez, G. Junqua. On the use of ELISA commercial test kits for PCB screening in sediments: practical implications. SETAC Europe 21th Annual Meeting. Milan, May 2011. Poster.
J. Castro-Jiménez, A. Katsoyiannis, A. Pistocchi. Polychlorinated Biphenyls in the European Environment on the 21st Century. An overview of the occurrence of these pollutants in all environmental compartments. SETAC Europe 20th Annual Meeting. Seville, May 2010. Poster Corner
J.M. Zaldívar, D. Marinov, S. Dueri, J. Castro-Jiménez, C. Micheletti and A. Worth. An integrated approach for bioaccumulation modeling in mussels. SETAC Europe 19h Annual Meeting. Goteborg, May-June 2009. Poster.
See also most relevant scientific production for the participation in the CMA activity